The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Thursday, November 27, 2014

An Unofficial Homecoming

While this post is about three and a half weeks late, it's still extremely relevant. When I went down to Sewanee over the weekend of Halloween, I had an agenda; I was going to see friends, pick up my stuff, and visit a place I love dearly. However, I didn't think about the fact that I was, in a sense, going home. It wasn't until a good friend asked me how I felt about being home that it hit me; yes, this was a home, and would always be so. '

Sure, it was weird being back as an alumna. Walking around academic buildings, the library, the dining hall; it all felt familiar, but different in a way. I passed by so many old friends who would say hi and a quick "Hey Rosh!", then do a double take as they realised that I had in fact graduated and wasn't just walking around campus on a normal class day. If anything though, this visit made me love Sewanee and my people there even more.

Of course, it was nice to be able to visit there as a kind of tourist and see places I'd never been in about four years; like Ruby Falls. It was a long underground walk, but still cool.



This one will be kept short for Thanksgiving prep, but I'm sure I'll return to the topic of Sewanee and it's people sometime soon. Have a great holiday weekend! 

No comments:

Popular Posts