The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Thursday, May 28, 2015

11 Ways to Effectively Crush Your Goals



We all have dreams and goals, places we'd like to be, things we'd like to achieve. Achieving our goals is a process that can't happen overnight, and takes some planning, dedication and focus. Hopefully, the steps below can outline this process in an easy-to-follow way!

1) Aim high: What is it that you really want? Aim as high as you'd like and understand what it really is. Do you want to write a book? Get into a top business school? Become a famous TV personality? Understanding where you want to be is the first step in achieving your goals.

2) Set a specific goal (or goals): Now that you know what it is that you want, how will you get there? Start by outlining your goals. Make them reasonable; for example, if you're working a full time job, you know you don't have ten hours a day to dedicate to your goals. Be specific when you set your goal; maybe you want to become healthier. "Being able to climb ___ flights of stairs without getting tired" is a better goal then "Being healthier". It's more measurable, and enables you to track your progress. Make sure that you set your goal and think about it in such a way that you feel passionate about achieving results.

3) Write it down: Once you know what your goal is, write it down! Maybe you feel more motivated giving it another name? Personally, I know that changing my yearly "resolutions" to "intentions" seemed to motivate me more. Wherever you write your goal(s) down, and whatever you choose to call them, make sure you word them in such a way that you are reminded of their achievability (...I don't really think that's a word). Have them accessible such that you can look at them as often as you need to.

4) Give yourself a reasonable timeline: (Most) goals cannot be achieved overnight. If you're planning to run a marathon, you have to realise that this might take some time. Are you very fit? This may be more of a short term goal for you. Have you never run one before? Then you're looking at longer term. Remember to break down your goal into chunks; start small and build up! Using the same example, you can't get up and practice running a full marathon on your first day. Pick a reasonable distance and go for it!

5) Don't tell too many people, but be sure to tell the right people: At the end of the day, you should be accountable for yourself. I find that sometimes telling too many people about your goals is actually not as motivational as it should be! However, learn to recognise the people who might be helpful. Recently, I told a friend of mine, Elizabeth Wilson, about a goal I have for myself. I haven't told many people at all, but her simple belief in me gave me the courage to take my planning one step further. (Thanks Elizabeth!)

6) Remember your goal: As time goes on, you may lose some of that initial motivation you had when you set your goal. Keep this in mind, and look for ways to keep reminding and motivating yourself. This might be a bracelet you wear on days you're feeling particularly unmotivated, or a vision board. An online tool I love allows you to send letters to yourself in the future (www.futureme.org). I use this to motivate myself, and it's worked great so far!

7) Start now and do however much you can whenever you can: To climb a mountain, you have to take the first step. The mountain may seem insurmountable at the moment, but that should in no way hinder that important first step. Start on your goal as soon as you possibly can, and realise that bit by bit, you'll get there.

8) Believe in yourself: Whatever your goal is, I can practically guarantee that if you don't believe in yourself, you won't get there. No matter what it is, no matter how big or how small it is, it's extremely important to believe that you CAN achieve it!

9) Don't be too hard on yourself: Always allow room for mistakes and unforeseen events, and give yourself the opportunity to learn from them. Recently, I was just about finishing my ten week workout programme, but unfortunately had to take a whole week off because of the flu. I hadn't planned for something like that, but was able to readjust.

10) Feel free to modify your goal as you get closer: Don't worry if your initial goal is now something that's not as relevant for you as it once was. Feel free to modify your goals as you get closer to them; you made them, and you have the power to change them.

11) Celebrate EVERYTHING: Celebrate every step closer that you get, every small victory you achieve, every time that you're that much closer, and finally, celebrate when you get there!

Have any more tips for effective goal setting? Share them in the comments  below!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with all of these tips! Writing my goals down really help and I publish them monthly to my blog because I find that having others know about what I'm working on keeps me accountable and motivated!

The Kenyan Nomad said...

Doesn't it though? It helps having the visual reminder too!

Popular Posts